Monday 10 September 2007

Rushes

For all the many well-wishers who have followed the somewhat traumatic run-up to the marriage of my lovely sister, Catherine and her Singing Scotsman, Ken (but chiefly for the benefit of the happy couple, who seem keen to spend part of their honeymoon in an Edinburgh internet cafe gazing at pictures of themselves!) - here is a small selection of pics from the day.

It all went off beautifully, and very musically, from the 1933 Austin London taxi from Ages Past, and the massed choral forces of St Michael's Choir and Opera at Bearwood singing the Bridal Chorus from Wagner's Lohengrin, through some tremendous hymn-singing (none of your half-hearted mumbling when the Holmeses are around!); Stanford's Beati Quorum Via; an exquisite and moving performance of Mozart's Laudate by soprano Erica Eloff; John Rutter's Gaelic Blessing and The Lord Bless You and Keep You; and then back down the aisle to the Rejouissance and Menuet from Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks played on the organ by Richard Seaton.

























Catherine wore the orange-blossom tiara our mother wore at her wedding 50 years ago next year.























Me & my girls












This is me with Handsome Uncle Tony. He started teaching me to say 'Handsome Uncle Tony' from the day we first met when I was but a few days old. It worked, and for many years I thought handsome meant 'man with moustache and bald head'. Well, I guess that's not such a bad definition of the word, really . . .


Lots more to follow in the next few days.


Normal musing mode will resume sometime next week . . .




1 comment:

60GoingOn16 said...

There's nothing like a set of happy wedding pictures to get the day off to a good start. And you all look very happy indeed. Thank you for the details of the music - so much the heart of the marriage service. I am now humming snatches to myself and remembering the delightful music at my daughter's wedding almost five years ago.

(The pictures of your mother's garden were rather wonderful too and reminded me that my garden needs a stern talking to . . .)