Saturday 1 March 2008

Sea glass revisited

I received so many emails and comments on my recent post about sea glass that I've decided to reveal a little more about the extent of my sorry addiction!


I haven't deliberately gone looking for sea glass for several months. My habit of walking along the beach, head bent, scanning the sand or shingle at my feet, had given way to striding forth in a more outward-looking fashion, as photographing the sea and sky became my new preoccupations.



This morning, however, the ferocious winds that rattled the windows all night had barely dropped.

We set out along the beach well wrapped up and stopped at the Seaview_Cafe for hot drinks and some Ritter Sport chocolate (where has this wonderful stuff been all my life?! - delicious!)

(And scarves may come and go but this is one of my all-time favourites – bought on Iona but made in Orkney by Hume Sweet Hume. I love its mossy, sea-lavender colours and the depth and variety of its textures, and the real pebbles from a Westray beach.)


The shining mackerel sky was soon obscured by a dull grey blanket of cloud. So the light became uninteresting and the best method of walking was heads down, collars up, and blinking through the stinging, wind-induced tears. Not good for the posture, but ideal for spotting sea glass!


And my Boy and I picked up quite a good haul (above), including a rare blue piece, which I'm very pleased with.



The dish in the hall was already well past overflowing, so I decided to have a bit of a sort out. It all needed dusting, anyway.

Some tiny jewel-like shards.

Bottlenecks.
Whispered words.


Textured pieces.

Oh, and I'm afraid the beach-combing doesn't stop at glass! Below are some items from the the 'china collection', which was added to today.

Totally pointless, but . . .


My sea glass habit is very serendipitous and amateurish compared with those of the true devotees I've discovered through a bit of Googling recently. And the Muddy Island seems to throw up mostly white, green, blue and brown glass - nothing more exotic. For anyone else who's beginning to feel the poetic pull of this alchemic treasure from the sea , here are some of the best sea glass sites:

Gina Cowan sea glass jewellery
West Coast sea glass
Dagrow Morvorenn sea glass jewellery
By the Sea jewelry
'Look what the tide brought in' - article from the Washington Post
Pure Sea Glass
Tears from the deep

8 comments:

monix said...

Fantastic, J, and thanks for all the links. I picked up a copy of Anita Shreve's 'Sea Glass' in a charity shop yesterday and look forward to starting it on my train journey tomorrow. I don't think I'll be finding much of the real thing in West Hampstead, though.

I hope you'll put lots of photos up to help me survive being away from the coast. Mxxx

Anonymous said...

My goodness what a collection and what a stunning photographic post. I well know that head down walk. I can't remember where I read that finding blue and white china is one of those strange Zen-like happenings. If you decide to look for a piece, one is bound to turn up, even if you are in a field in the middle of nowhere. I'm always finding it like that when I'm out with the Mersea Island walking group. Who is leaving these bits of china?

Juliet said...

Good luck on First Great Western, M! I do hope you enjoy the book - I fear I'm going to have to turn this place upside down before I find my copy again. This whole 'holiday' will be an amazing journey for you - can't wait to hear all about it! Jxx

Anonymous said...

Lovely lovely sea glass! Thanks for sharing those gorgeous pictures. We must get to the beach soon to have a little looksey ourselves.

Anonymous said...

I loved your variety of sea glass pieces, especially the ones with the lettering on them! Also, of course, your photos of the sky and scenes there!

David
www.OdysseySeaGlass.com

Linda j said...

If you love sea glass, you may be interested in the Internets LARGEST online member only site sharing the passion for sea glass.

Http://www.seaglasslovers.ning.com where members share over 6000 photos, craft and display ideas, beach locations, shard id, over 300 forums and 26 groups that speicalize in sea glass hunting.

Membership is free but there is no selling or jewelry permitted on the site

Linda J said...

I would like to invite you and all your blog readers that Love Sea Glass to come visit us at http://www.seaglasslovers.ning.com

SGL (seaglasslovers) is a private NON commercial and jewelry free site dedicate to Sea Glass Lovers of the World.

Currently we have close to 2000 members in over 28 countries sharing 7200 photos, beach locations, craft and display ideas, tons of forums and chat and MUCH MORE!


Please stop by and apply for a membership, it is free to join!

Lisl Armstrong said...

Beautiful pictures!